Monday, April 27, 2009
Monday, April 20, 2009
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Started working on this kit after over a year of being "set aside" for other projects. Did a lot of sanding on the fuselage and test mounted the motor. Using a piece of PVC pipe for spacing. Need to cut out the cowl openings for motor and air. Then more sanding.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Monday, March 30, 2009
Friday, March 27, 2009
Wing span: 48" Area: 426 sq.in. - Wing loading: 17.85 oz/sqft. - Wing Cube Loading: 10.38 - AUW is 52.8 ozs. - Powered by a BP A2620-6 brushless, a Tornado 8x6-3 prop - CC Phoenix 45 ESC and 2 TP 2S1P 2200 Extremes in series. Max amps is 26 and max power is 332 watts. AR7000 receiver is used in the plane. HS-85MG servos are used for all functions. JR X9303 radio for control.
Finished the install and tested all functions. No problems.
To archive balance, the batteries need to be alongside the pylon. This makes it tough to install from front hatch.
Last thing to do is front battery hold down.
Then a bit more trim and finish motor pod.
Also need to apply silicone to wing saddle. Should be very little as it is already a tight fit.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Finally finished my hatch! A piece of MW in the front slides under the combing and keeps the front in place. Used epoxy and microballons to secure that wire.
Rear is held down by 3/8 rare earth magnets. 2 glued on the hatch at the end of the horiz balsa support and two glued to the hull. The magnets are supported and piece of 1/64 ply in front of each and they seem to have plenty of holding power.
Magnets assemblies on each end. Constructed the same way those that are glued to hull side. On my original Drake II, the magnets could contact each other when close (SLAMMED!) and somethimes the magnet would come loose and have to be reglued. I used this method on my LT-25 and it works well.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Nearing completion! Certainly not the best covering job I have done! But, that is no reflection on the builder, Art Aube. I just didn't take enough time to prepare the surface and some of the materials I used, namely SIG Aerokote, simply didn't want to stick well in some places. So, I used a mix of Aerokote, Monokote, and Polycover! Just didn't want to stop and purchase more Ultracoat so I used whatever I had at hand! Don't particularly like the way the bow came out - should have changed the shape of the blue covering. Oh Well!!
Still have to add some more details, make the hatch hold down, battery supports, and install the electronics. AUW is presently 49.6 ozs with all the gear and two TP 2S1P 2200 Extremes (will be in series).
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Friday, March 6, 2009
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Adding some airplanes that I have built or assembled since my updates ended last summer.
Two Depron Drake IIs, left one has a 36" span and the right a 26" span.
This Drake II (36" span) is an exceptional flyer, equaling my original balsa Drake II.
Monday, March 2, 2009
Inner medicine bottle used for mount support for the otther bottle above.