Monday, December 31, 2007

Mallard ready for paint

Started to paint the fuselage today. Using Applebarrel acrylic from Walmart. Hate this part. Just need more experience painting. Built a servo platform in center of wing area from lite ply. Used a carbon rod for the elevator servo and a Nyrod stiffened with a carbon fiber rod for the rudder. HS-81 servos for both.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Mallard

Have now just about finished the wing. Floats and supports are in place. Ailerons are mounted and covers are in place. Painted the front of the motor mounts black and sealed the remaining parts of the mounts with Polycrylic. Also added some parts - ply and foam - to help block any spray from getting into the nacelles. A bit more sanding - to remove some of the extra glue - and should be ready for paint. Getting ready to start on fuselage.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Mallard Progress

Motor nacelles all done. Aileron servos installed. All wing wiring complete. Ready to add supports for tip floats then paint.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Mallard Progress

Soldered up the motor extension wires and tested. Found one issue with differential steering - if AR7000 loses radio signal, goes to failsafe which shuts down throttle but not the AUX2 port that is a slave to Throttle. Otherwise, wiring OK. Glued on top parts of motor nacelles - bottom half will be secured by screws so you can get to wiring or motor if necessary.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Mallard progress

Formed and glued ABS fairings on wing. Created a small water block around each wing bolt hole to prevent water getting under fairings.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

K & A Models Grumman G-73 Mallard

Getting this plane back on the bench after finishing the LT-25e. Planning to use Axi Silver 2208/20 brushless motors, Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESCs, and Thunderpower 3 cell 2100 mah Lipos and 6x4 3-bladed props. This should generate about 225 watts at 23 amps. The wing is done and fitted to the hull. Motor mounts are glued in place. Motor ESCs are wired up. I spent about 15 minutes setting up what I hope is “Differental throttle control” with my Spektrum DX7. When switched on, you can speed up the left or right motor with the rudder. The DX7 has a very nice servo position display that helps greatly performing this type of mixing. This feature will eliminate the water rudder. Update: I was able to set up the three mixes thanks to the servo position display on the DX7. Fantastic device! Isn't technology wonderful!! Anyway, when I activate the mixes with a switch, the left motor will speed up for a right turn and right for a left turn. How much speedup depends on how much I move the rudder left or right. This morning, I connected all the motors, receiver and battery and tested with a tachometer. Works GREAT! Up to about 1800 rpm speedup with present settings. I may have to adjust the mixes after I find out how much differential is really needed for effective steering. I believe this method will be more effective than a water rudder.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Cessna 195

Top Notch Kits Cessna 195 48" span. AUW 40 ozs. EFlight 480. CC Phoenix 25, TP Prolite 3S1P 2100 mah, and Spektrum AR7000 Built this plane spring of 07. Flys great on wheels but poorly with the floats. Short video.......... video

Friday, December 7, 2007

LT-25e

Maiden flight today. Went great. No issues. One of the best flying planes I own. Video taken on the next day by Matt Dyer: video

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

LT-25e Ready to Fly

Finished radio configuration. Added battery setup. Added some decals to wing. Installed skis - it snowed! AUW 73.8 ozs Joe

Monday, December 3, 2007

LT-25e

Getting there! Wing covered. All servos installed. Receiver installed. Battery box ready. Due to the weather, looks like I will need skis for its test flights. Just used some smaller wheels to check setup. 3" wheels on the way. Need to add some more numbers. etc. Joe

Sunday, December 2, 2007

LT-25e

My latest project: Art built me a LT-25e: e for electric! That must have hurt! Fuselage and tail group covered. Servos installed for rudder and elevator. Removable hatch installed. Landing gear in place. Hopefully start covering wing today. Joe